Tuesday 5 June 2012

A Council of Dads

I was reading this article, "A Council of Dads". It's about a request made by a father, who is believed to be dying, to a few of his close friends whom he trusts to be his voice in raising his twin daughters when he's not around.

In his letter to his daughters, there is one thing that really struck me into tears. It goes like this:

'A few weeks after you were born, we held a party to introduce you to our friends. I gave a short toast. My closing wish was "May your first word be adventure and your last word love." I can report that the first half of that wish came true. The second half - "May your last word be love" - is up to you. And if I've learnt anything from my illness, it's that we never know when our last word may come. So I beg of you: be awash in love everyday."

No comments:

Post a Comment